Too busy thinking about what to put in your bag for your next adventure, you may forget the other things to do before leaving for a vacation. To avoid unpleasant surprise when you’ll come back, make sure you go through all this travel checklist.
1. Leave notes for yourself at work. Make yourself a to-do list for when you’ll be back at work to avoid losing tracks of your projects. I usually include cheers note in mine, because we all need it after vacation.
2. Clear off your memory cards and your phone to make space for new pictures. No, you don’t need all those selfies abroad.
3. Remove cards and papers you don’t need from your wallet. If you lose it, at least you won’t have to renew everything.
4. Give a spare set of your keys to someone your trust. If you rent an apartment, give the contact to the owner in case of emergency.
5. Tell your bank or credit card provider if you leave the country so they won’t block your credit card if they see unusual activities in your account. Trust me, you don’t want to be in the middle of nowhere in a country you don’t speak the language trying to explain that you cannot pay because your credit card has been blocked.
6. Open a second credit card account. Just in case.
You might like : How to Plan Your Trip in 10 Easy Steps
7. Make a copy of your passport and leave it somewhere else than the original. Oh, and while you’re at it, check if your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your departure. A lot of countries require it.
8. If you have pets, make sure somebody will take care of them. Do I really have to say that!?
9. Pay off your bills and/or schedule automatic payment. Because late fees are lame.
10. Eat anything perishable in your fridge. There’s nothing I hate more than to waste food. If you’re like me, that may means to eat humus, apple, pasta left-over and cheese for a couple of days…
11. Ask your neighbour or a friend to pick up your mail.
12. Unplug every electrical devices. You’ll save money.
13. Turn off the air conditioner or turn down the heat.
14. Water your plants and/or ask a neighbour or a friend to do it if you’re on a long-term trip.
15. Wash all the dishes. Do it! The future you will be grateful.
16. Take out the trash.
17. Record a new voicemail and set an automated email response. No drama or “Why didn’t you call me back!?” kind of things. Be sure not to mention the specific dates of your absence for security.
If you’re visual, I made an infographic. Enjoy!
Yup, well someone’s got Infographic talent. Share the love lol
Thanks Jennifer! It took me quite some time, but I think I’ll get better. Plus, it’s so fun to do! :)